Interessante

Mansão Leland Stanford

Mansão Leland Stanford


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Em 1978, o estado da Califórnia comprou a Mansão Leland Stanford para uso como parque estadual. A imponente estrutura foi listada como um marco histórico nacional em maio de 1987. A mansão foi construída durante 1856-1857 pelo proeminente comerciante de Sacramento Shelton C. Em 1871, o Stanford remodelou a casa e a ampliou de 4.000 pés quadrados para 19.000 pés quadrados. serviu como o cargo de três governadores durante a turbulenta década de 1860 - Leland Stanford, Fredrick Low e Henry Haight. Hayes e seu secretário de guerra, Alexander Ramsey, e o general William Tecumseh Sherman. Como governador pró-União da Guerra Civil e presidente da Central Pacific Railroad, Leland Stanford negociou acordos políticos e comerciais na mansão que ajudaram a concluir a ferrovia transcontinental. a esposa Jane deu à luz seu único filho, Leland, Jr., na mansão em 14 de maio de 1868. Eles doaram a Leland Stanford Junior University e, em 14 de novembro de 1885, o conselho de curadores aceitou a propriedade de várias propriedades que ser o local da nova universidade em Palo Alto. Em junho de 1893 Stanford, agora um senador dos Estados Unidos, morreu. Em 1987, a Stanford Home for Children mudou-se para novas instalações no norte de Sacramento, quando os parques estaduais da Califórnia assumiram o controle. Hoje, a Stanford Mansion está mais uma vez pronta para receber os hóspedes mais importantes da Califórnia e oferecer oportunidades para que os visitantes aprendam sobre os aspectos fascinantes da casa. passado e seu futuro emocionante.


Mansão Leland Stanford - História

Sobre a mansão Leland Stanford

A casa conhecida como Leland Stanford Mansion começou como a casa de Shelton C. Fogus, um proeminente empresário da região. Iniciada como uma casa mais modesta de dois andares, a mansão foi ampliada (e até mesmo elevada) por seu proprietário mais famoso, Leland Stanford, Sr. Ela serviu como Mansão Executiva para o estado da Califórnia durante o mandato de um ano de Leland e para seu sucessor, Frederic Low. Em 1871, o Stanford's iniciou outro ambicioso projeto de expansão que trouxe a mansão ao seu tamanho atual.

Em 1900, Jane Stanford, viúva de Leland Stanford, legou a residência à Igreja Católica de Sacramento para ser usada como orfanato. O Lar para Crianças Sem Amigos de Stanford e Lathrop era administrado pelas Irmãs da Misericórdia. Nos anos seguintes, a casa serviu a muitas funções. Um incêndio destruiu partes do 4º andar na década de 1940. Na década de 1950, a instalação era supervisionada pelas Irmãs do Serviço Social. A casa foi transformada em Marco do Estado em 1957 e comprada pelo estado por domínio iminente em 1978. As irmãs permaneceram na propriedade até 1987. Um grande esforço para renovar a mansão foi iniciado no início dos anos 90, o que trouxe a mansão ao seu atual usar como um parque estadual e como edifício de recebimento de protocolo do governador da Califórnia.

Histórias de fantasma
/> />

Não há relatos atuais de assombração, mas dizem que o fantasma do filho do governador Stanford apareceu e o encorajou a construir a Universidade de Stanford

A senhora da recepção nos contou esta história sobre a assombração da Mansão Stanford:

Os Stanfords tentaram sem sucesso por 18 anos ter um filho, então, aos 39 anos de idade, a Sra. Jane Stanford concebeu, deu à luz Leland Stanford Jr. Ela e seu marido centraram suas vidas em torno de seu filho. Quando Leland Jr. tinha 15 anos, a família fez uma turnê pela Europa como uma celebração antes que o jovem Stanford voltasse para o leste para cursar a faculdade. Enquanto estava na Europa, Leland Jr. contraiu febre tifóide e morreu.

Devestados pela perda de seu único filho, os Stanfords choraram até não poderem mais chorar, e no sono que a exaustão traz, Leland Stanford, Sr. acreditava ter visto seu filho aparecer para ele. Seu filho disse-lhe para dar tudo o que ele quisesse dar a seu filho para todas as crianças da Califórnia em vez disso. Inspirado por isso, Leland Sênior visitou as grandes faculdades da Costa Leste, Yale e Harvard, e então fundou uma universidade em um terreno em Palo Alto que o jovem Leland Stanford desfrutou quando jovem. Ele o batizou com o nome de seu filho, e a Universidade de Stanford nasceu.

Jane Stanford tentou por muitos anos entrar em contato com seu filho por meio de médiuns.

A história é interessante e trágica, mas temos que dar a este lugar apenas duas aranhas porque a mansão tem apenas um relato de qualquer ocorrência fantasmagórica.

Nossa revisão

A loja de presentes e o centro de visitantes era bom. Eles têm um vídeo sobre a história da construção e uma maquete que ajuda a demonstrar as diferentes fases de crescimento dos casarões.

Não há, infelizmente, nenhuma fotografia permitida dentro do casarão, mas as fotos do interior podem ser adquiridas na loja de presentes em cartões postais e em livros sobre a história do casarão (a preços de loja de presentes, é claro), por isso nossas fotos são limitados ao exterior. A mansão é linda, no entanto, e é lamentável que você acredite nela ou encontre outras fotos online.

Nossa visita guiada era só nós três. A nossa guia, Janine, era quase da nossa idade e suportava as nossas brincadeiras e era capaz de brincar connosco. No final do passeio, ela nos disse que éramos o grupo mais divertido de seu dia.

O prédio ainda tem funções oficiais para o estado da Califórnia e, portanto, às vezes não pode ser visitado.


Leland Stanford era um filantropo "magnânimo" ou um "ladrão, mentiroso e fanático?"

Leland Stanford, retratado em uma pintura a óleo do artista francês Ernest Meissonier, 1881. Cortesia de Wikimedia Commons.

por Roland De Wolk | 17 de outubro de 2019

Nasceu no bar do sertão da Costa Leste de seu pai, morrendo em uma magnífica mansão da Costa Oeste construída com sua fortuna feita por ele mesmo. Condenado como o completo barão ladrão, consagrado como um titã singular da empresa americana. Exaltado como o fundador magnânimo de uma universidade de classe mundial, condenado como um ladrão, mentiroso e fanático.

Com todas as contradições gritantes em seu personagem, Leland Stanford - um homem mais conhecido como magnata das ferrovias, governador da Califórnia e suposto filantropo - incorpora as previsões americanas que nos atormentaram por séculos. A cultura empreendedora, infame e perturbadora de hoje, enriqueça rapidamente, altere o mundo, mal educada e remonta diretamente a este homem enigmático e mítico.

Ele tinha uma proveniência americana por excelência. Seu primeiro ancestral americano chegou à Nova Inglaterra alguns anos depois que o Mayflower atracou em Plymouth Rock. Um Stanford posterior lutou na Guerra Revolucionária. (A viúva daquele ancestral teve que lutar contra o governo para conseguir sua pensão. Quão americano é isso?) O povo de Stanford mudou-se para o oeste para o que hoje é Albany, Nova York, e dirigia um bar chamado taberna Bull's Head, onde ele nasceu em 1824 .

O verdadeiro nome de Leland era Amasa, em homenagem a uma figura problemática do Velho Testamento que se juntou a uma rebelião fracassada contra seu próprio tio, o duvidoso rei guerreiro, Davi. Leland abandonou Amasa em favor de seu nome do meio benigno - que significa prado, embora Stanford não fosse tão aberto e agradável.

Ele passou a maior parte de sua vida se alterando, movendo-se, mudando. E ele falhou em quase tudo. Como estudante, ele foi um abandono repetido que nunca se formou no que hoje seria o ensino médio. Ele alegou ter passado na barra do estado de Nova York, mas os registros indicam que não. Ele era, não surpreendentemente, um antiintelectual americano clássico, que menosprezava as pessoas com melhor educação. Mais tarde na vida, ele gostava de se gabar de ter contratado graduados de Harvard e Yale para dirigir seus bondes de San Francisco, porque eles haviam perdido tempo na universidade.

Quando ele tinha 28 anos, Stanford estava morto. Cartas, manuscritos e outros documentos revelam que ele fugiu em 1852 para a Califórnia, onde seus irmãos já haviam estabelecido um negócio de varejo de sucesso. Com um ceticismo compreensível, os irmãos enviaram Stanford ao montanhoso Gold Country para abrir uma filial e ver como ele se sairia - e pela primeira vez, ele se saiu bem. Ele conseguiu ser nomeado juiz de paz local, abriu um bar que chamou de Empire Saloon para homenagear seu passado na taberna de Nova York e usou o baseado para distribuir justiça e bebidas alcoólicas.

Quando os irmãos se mudaram de sua sede em Sacramento para outras empresas, Stanford desceu a colina para assumir - e encontrou os sócios que o ajudariam a acumular sua vasta fortuna. Uma loja de ferragens ao lado era administrada por dois empresários de sucesso chamados Collis Huntington e Mark Hopkins. Outro próspero comerciante de tapetes e sapatos com o nome de Charles Crocker trabalhava ao virar da esquina. Esses homens recrutaram o jovem Stanford para uma das maiores e mais audaciosas manobras da história americana: financiar e construir a ferrovia transcontinental.

Os recém-encontrados associados - que em breve serão conhecidos para sempre como os Quatro Grandes - fizeram de Stanford o chefe titular de sua start-up, a Central Pacific Rail Road, e garantiram um contrato para construir a extremidade oeste da linha ferroviária, a ser amplamente financiado pelos contribuintes americanos. O dinheiro deveria ser pago em 30 anos.

Quase imediatamente, Stanford e seus sócios iniciaram uma campanha incessante - e bem-sucedida - para obter ainda mais dinheiro dos contribuintes americanos. Eles criaram empresas fictícias para lavar o produto em suas próprias contas, ocultando efetivamente suas verdadeiras despesas e lucros. Conseqüentemente, eles começaram a acumular grande poder. Os Quatro Grandes, acompanhando a eleição vitoriosa de Abraham Lincoln em 1860, arquitetaram a eleição de Stanford, um republicano, como governador da Califórnia em 1861.

Tornar-se governador despertou algo em Stanford, e seus paradoxos e oportunidades totalmente americanos começaram a funcionar em um ritmo singular. Ele combinou o serviço do governo com o lucro pessoal e começou a intimidar o legislativo estadual, condados locais e cidades para emitir títulos para financiar ainda mais sua ferrovia e, por extensão, sua fortuna. A própria construção da ferrovia foi suportada em grande parte pelas costas dos párias da época: os imigrantes chineses, que Stanford denegriu, junto com os nativos americanos e outros. Os Quatro Grandes pagavam menos a seus trabalhadores asiáticos do que aos brancos e exigiam muito mais deles enquanto o projeto cruzava a formidável Sierra Nevada e o deserto escaldante.

Este foi a História de sucesso americana de meados do século 19 - quatro homens viajaram para o oeste e encontraram ouro figurativo. Mas poucas pessoas sabiam o que realmente estava acontecendo por trás da narrativa mítica e, claro, ninguém sabia que consequências ela teria.

Leland Stanford logo se envolveria em escândalos, incluindo um dos maiores da história americana.

A extremidade leste da ferrovia transcontinental - uma empresa escandalosa em si mesma - encontrou a extremidade oeste do grupo de Stanford em Promontory Summit, Utah, em 1869. Stanford e seus parceiros correram para adquirir todas as ferrovias na Califórnia e grande parte do oeste. Seu monopólio explorava clientes de frete e passageiros, cobrando preços exorbitantes e lavando os lucros por meio de corporações de verniz. Além disso, Stanford declarou que sua empresa não deveria pagar os empréstimos aos contribuintes americanos. Uma série de tentativas subseqüentes do estado de investigar a ferrovia, que logo mudaria seu nome para Pacífico Sul, fracassou em grande medida porque Stanford subornou os chamados investigadores.

Leland Stanford dirigiu no pico dourado, conectando a Central Pacific Railroad com a Union Pacific Railroad e marcando a conclusão da linha ferroviária transcontinental, em 10 de maio de 1869, no Promotory Summit, Utah. Fotografia de Andrew J. Russell. Cortesia de Wikimedia Commons.

Um governo federal farto finalmente interveio. Em 1887, o Congresso criou a Pacific Railroad Commission, “autorizando uma investigação dos livros, contas e métodos de ferrovias que receberam ajuda dos Estados Unidos”. Isso lançou uma investigação abrangente e granular sobre os negócios em ambas as extremidades da ferrovia transcontinental, começando com o grupo Stanford.

Quase um ano, centenas de testemunhas e cerca de 6.000 páginas de depoimentos e conclusões depois, a comissão descobriu que Stanford e seu povo haviam mentido e fraudado o povo americano.

“Eu nunca vi vouchers em tal estado antes em minha vida”, testemunhou um contador especialista independente com 30 anos de experiência trabalhando para empresas ferroviárias. “Eles estão todos em desordem, e nove décimos deles são meros pedaços de papel sem recibos.”

Os investigadores descobriram que milhões de dólares foram “usados ​​com o propósito de influenciar a legislação e evitar a aprovação de medidas consideradas hostis aos interesses da empresa, e com o propósito de influenciar eleições”. Em outras palavras, o grupo de Stanford usou milhões de dólares do governo para lutar contra o governo.

Mas isso não foi o melhor - deve-se provavelmente dizer o pior - disso. Os livros de contabilidade essenciais, que teriam mostrado exatamente para onde o dinheiro do contribuinte foi, simplesmente desapareceram. Desaparecido. Vamoosed. “Esses livros não foram produzidos e, na opinião da Comissão, foram destruídos propositalmente pela direção de Stanford, Huntington, Hopkins e Crocker. A evidência neste ponto parece ser conclusiva. ”

“O resultado”, determinou a comissão, “é que aqueles que controlaram e dirigiram a construção e o desenvolvimento dessas empresas tornaram-se possuidores de seus ativos excedentes por meio de emissões de títulos, ações e pagamentos de dividendos, votados por eles próprios enquanto os grandes credor, os Estados Unidos, encontra-se substancialmente sem garantia adequada de reembolso de seus empréstimos. ”

Os quatro grandes obtiveram um “excedente” estimado de US $ 62,6 milhões na construção da ferrovia transcontinental e US $ 55,5 milhões semelhantes de outras muitas ferrovias que controlavam, concluiu a comissão. Para algum contexto de quanto valia esse dinheiro em 1887, o orçamento do estado da Califórnia naquele ano era de cerca de US $ 6 milhões (é mais de US $ 200 bilhões hoje). O governo dos Estados Unidos não poderia processar a ferrovia naquela época porque a dívida ainda não estava oficialmente vencida, e os acionistas não iriam processar porque provavelmente perderiam seus investimentos.

Quando Stanford se cansou de responder às perguntas cada vez mais difíceis da comissão & # 8217s, ele simplesmente se desligou, dizendo que não tinha conhecimento, não lembrava ou não responderia a conselho de um advogado. A comissão o levou ao tribunal. Em 1887, dois membros de um painel de três juízes - amigos pessoais de Stanford & # 8217s que ele indicou para o tribunal - decidiram contra o Congresso e a favor de Stanford.

Ele havia vencido, mas sua sorte logo mudaria. No ano seguinte, Stanford e sua subestimada esposa Jennie sofreram a maior perda que se possa imaginar. Seu amado único filho, Leland Jr., morreu durante uma Grande Volta pela Europa aos 15 anos. Os pais começaram a homenageá-lo com o estabelecimento de uma universidade em sua vasta propriedade rural em Palo Alto.

Alguns anos depois, Leland Sênior foi traído por seu sócio Huntington, quando o astuto vendedor da loja de ferragens arquitetou um golpe corporativo, fez com que Stanford fosse deposto como chefe da ferrovia e assumiu ele mesmo a presidência. Huntington permaneceu na posição pelo resto de sua vida.

Esta história americana de fracasso, recompensa, tragédia e duplicidade tem uma coda trágica: assassinato.
Oito anos após a morte de Leland Stanford em sua mansão de campo em Palo Alto, à beira da falência, sua invencível viúva Jennie, que salvou a Universidade de Stanford do fechamento por lutar com sucesso até a Suprema Corte pela devolução de um empréstimo do governo, foi assassinado em um luxuoso quarto de hotel em Honolulu. A investigação de um legista descobriu que alguém a envenenou propositalmente com estricnina de grau farmacêutico.

Você pode cancelar ou entrar em contato conosco a qualquer momento.

O presidente da Universidade de Stanford, David Starr Jordan, garantiu que a investigação não levasse a lugar nenhum - ele não podia permitir que outro escândalo abalasse a jovem e frágil instituição. O assassino nunca foi descoberto. E a universidade continuaria a ser uma força para alterar vidas em todo o planeta, como local de nascimento, incubadora e sustentadora do Vale do Silício.

Hoje, muitas vezes ouvimos histórias americanas de chicanas corporativas, fraudes políticas, acobertamentos e crimes - e elas coexistem com histórias de nossa insondável capacidade de ambição, invenção e filantropia.

Leland Stanford levou uma vida rara, grande o suficiente para conter todos eles.

Roland De Wolk, um historiador e repórter investigativo de longa data, é o autor de Disruptor americano: a vida escandalosa de Leland Stanford.


Mansão Leland Stanford

2015-11-08T14: 42: 55-05: 00 https://images.c-span.org/Files/f81/20151108144831003_hd.jpg Rick Becton deu um passeio pela Leland Stanford Mansion, uma mansão de 19.000 pés quadrados da era vitoriana outrora propriedade do ex-governador da Califórnia e magnata das ferrovias Leland Stanford. Como governador pró-União da Guerra Civil e presidente da Central Pacific Railroad, Leland Stanford negociou acordos políticos e comerciais na Mansão que ajudaram a concluir a ferrovia transcontinental.

C-SPAN & rsquos Local Content Vehicles (LCVs) fizeram uma parada em seu & ldquo2015 LCV Cities Tour & rdquo em Sacramento, Califórnia, de 8 a 12 de setembro para apresentar a história e a vida literária da comunidade. Trabalhando com a afiliada local da Comcast Cable, eles visitaram locais literários e históricos onde historiadores, autores e líderes cívicos locais foram entrevistados. Os segmentos de história vão ao ar na American History TV (AHTV) no C-SPAN3 e os segmentos de eventos literários / não-ficção vão ao ar na Book TV no C-SPAN2.

Rick Becton deu um passeio pela Leland Stanford Mansion, uma mansão de 19.000 pés quadrados da era vitoriana que já foi propriedade do ex-governador da Califórnia e da ferrovia… leia mais

Rick Becton deu um passeio pela Mansão Leland Stanford, uma mansão da era vitoriana de 19.000 pés quadrados que já foi propriedade do ex-governador da Califórnia e magnata das ferrovias Leland Stanford. Como governador pró-União da Guerra Civil e presidente da Central Pacific Railroad, Leland Stanford negociou acordos políticos e comerciais na Mansão que ajudaram a concluir a ferrovia transcontinental.

C-SPAN & rsquos Local Content Vehicles (LCVs) fizeram uma parada em seu & ldquo2015 LCV Cities Tour & rdquo em Sacramento, Califórnia, de 8 a 12 de setembro para apresentar a história e a vida literária da comunidade. Trabalhando com a afiliada local da Comcast Cable, eles visitaram locais literários e históricos onde historiadores, autores e líderes cívicos locais foram entrevistados. Os segmentos de história vão ao ar na American History TV (AHTV) no C-SPAN3 e os segmentos de eventos literários / não-ficção vão ao ar na Book TV no C-SPAN2. fechar


Mansão Leland Stanford - História

Um discurso perante a Sociedade Histórica da Califórnia
Entregue na Mansão Stanford em Sacramento
em 16 de junho de 1940

Por CAROLINE WENZEL
Bibliotecário Supervisor, Seção da Califórnia,
Biblioteca Estadual da Califórnia

Na minha infância, frequentemente passava pela casa de Stanford a caminho da escola e muitas vezes desejava poder entrar na casa e ver com meus próprios olhos a casa em que o governador e a Sra. Stanford uma vez se divertiram com tanto luxo, e especialmente se eu queria para ver a sala onde o jovem Leland nasceu. A casa não estava aberta a visitas e, por uma razão ou outra, nunca tive coragem de subir à porta e pedir à boa irmã que me deixasse entrar. Certa vez, o gentil jardineiro me fez feliz, dando-me algumas das lindas violetas que cresciam em tal profusão no quintal. O lugar ainda me interessa, e agora, das janelas da Sala Califórnia da Biblioteca, posso apontar com orgulho para a casa histórica e dizer aos visitantes que são bem-vindos a visitá-la durante certas horas do dia, graças à hospitalidade da Irmã Lucile e sua equipe.

Eu sei que todos vocês estão interessados ​​em ouvir algo sobre a história da casa e as mudanças que foram feitas nela, mas antes de falar sobre isso, quero falar algo sobre a Seção da Biblioteca Estadual da Califórnia. Afinal, esse é o único motivo de eu comparecer a vocês, porque todos vocês sabem que sou melhor como detetive literário na área da Califórnia do que como orador público.

A Biblioteca Estadual foi fundada em 1850, e a aquisição de material da Califórnia realmente começou naquela época. A Seção da Califórnia, entretanto, não foi organizada como tal até 1903. A Biblioteca, que então ficava no Capitólio do Estado, tinha em toda sua coleção livros, revistas e jornais impressos na Califórnia ou pertencentes ao Estado. A Seção Califórnia foi criada reunindo este material disperso como uma coleção. Desde aquela época, os recursos do departamento têm sido constantemente aumentados e sua utilidade estendida até hoje, ele é conhecido por colecionadores, pesquisadores e escritores de todo o país.

Na Sala Califórnia estão localizados os raros e mais importantes livros de referência e os vários catálogos e índices mantidos como unidades especiais de nosso trabalho.

A equipe da Seção da Califórnia consiste em dois bibliotecários profissionais, um indexador de jornais e dois auxiliares de biblioteca. O trabalho é altamente especializado e envolve muito trabalho árduo dentro e fora do horário da biblioteca, mas se alguém está interessado nele há um glamour e emoção que é difícil de descrever. Somos uma parte vital da comunidade. Nosso público se interessa principalmente pela história e literatura primitiva de nosso Estado, mas também há um amplo interesse pela história de sua arte, música, religião, política, economia, agricultura e assuntos afins, por isso devemos ter informações facilmente disponíveis sobre material pertinente a esses assuntos e, especialmente, devemos estar atentos às referências a eventos e livros atuais da Califórnia.

O objetivo da Biblioteca Estadual é fornecer material complementar às bibliotecas do Estado e emprestar a particulares por meio de suas bibliotecas locais. Tentamos seguir essa política, mas no caso de escritores e pesquisadores, quando sabemos que o material não está em livro e não está disponível em outro lugar, às vezes enviamos as informações diretamente para o indivíduo. Isso se aplica especialmente a pessoas fora do Estado.

Materiais originais, jornais, certos periódicos, livros de referência e livros que seriam difíceis ou impossíveis de substituir não saem da biblioteca. Se um candidato não puder vir a Sacramento para obter informações de um jornal ou livro que não circula, fazemos fotostáticas até certo ponto a um custo nominal para itens designados.

Fazemos uma quantidade limitada de buscas nos jornais por itens como nascimentos, casamentos, óbitos e esboços biográficos, quando não encontramos referências no arquivo de informações, e esses artigos, se não forem muito extensos, são digitados gratuitamente. Estamos bastante dispostos a estender esta pesquisa a livros e outras fontes quando a pergunta for difícil e importante que o bibliotecário local não seja capaz de responder por causa das ferramentas de referência limitadas.

Às vezes, chegam até nós pedidos relativos a assuntos que exigiriam pesquisa mais especializada do que temos tempo para fazer. Nesses casos, sugerimos que o próprio aluno venha até a Biblioteca Estadual, se possível, e faça aqui seu trabalho de pesquisa. Esse atendimento individualizado é uma parte muito importante do nosso trabalho, e sempre temos o prazer de disponibilizar todo o material e dar todo o auxílio possível.

A coleção de livros inclui livros sobre a história e descrição, recursos e setores do estado, bem como as obras de autores da Califórnia em todos os departamentos de literatura. O trabalho de nossas impressoras finas também é representado.

Uma característica única da coleção da Califórnia e que acreditamos ser tão completa quanto qualquer de seu tipo existente é a ficção da Califórnia. Livros com cenário da Califórnia ou de um autor da Califórnia estão incluídos neste grupo. Muitos deles são autografados e são doação do autor. Como se constatou que nenhuma outra classe de literatura desaparece tão rapidamente como a ficção popular, esses livros são mantidos como uma coleção representativa desse tipo de literatura ao longo dos vários períodos da história do Estado.

A coleção de histórias de condados inclui quase todas as que foram publicadas. Esses volumes, especialmente os primeiros, contêm muito valioso material biográfico e histórico e, complementados pelos primeiros diretórios e grandes registros de eleitores, servem como ferramentas de referência úteis, especialmente porque os esboços biográficos nas histórias dos condados foram indexados em forma de cartão. As listas e os grandes cadastros de eleitores também são valiosos para ajudar a comprovar a cidadania e a verificar a idade e a residência neste Estado, em particular para quem necessita de comprovação para o pedido de pensão de velhice.

Uma coleção interessante e valiosa de periódicos da Califórnia inclui arquivos completos do Pioneiro, a primeira revista de importância publicada no Estado, a Hesperian, a primeira revista ilustrada em cores, e também arquivos completos da Overland, Hutchings, Californian e da Argonaut.

A coleção de manuscritos consiste em documentos de missão, papéis de negócios, diários, cartas e reminiscências de pioneiros, bem como cartões biográficos de autores, artistas, músicos, oficiais do estado, pioneiros e primeiros colonizadores da Califórnia. Como nenhum outro material dá uma idéia melhor do verdadeiro caráter e espírito dos homens e mulheres que vieram para a Califórnia, listamos as letras tanto pelo nome da pessoa quanto pela data, garantindo assim o maior uso possível.

Vários milhares de fotos foram coletadas, retratando pessoas, lugares e eventos da história da Califórnia.

Uma coleção teatral composta por fotografias de atores, encenações, programas, informações biográficas, manuscritos e cópias impressas do trabalho de jogadores da Califórnia é uma das características especiais do departamento.

Além dos tipos muito definidos de material já listados, há muito na coleção diversa, incluindo livros contábeis antigos, álbuns de recortes, cédulas iniciais e artifícios políticos, bookplates, partituras, programas de concertos e assim por diante.

Talvez a Seção da Califórnia seja mais conhecida por sua coleção insuperável de jornais do estado do que por qualquer outra coisa. O arquivo começa com o primeiro papel, o Californian, que começou em Monterey em 15 de agosto de 1846 e inclui quase todos os jornais representativos daquela época até o presente. Quase todos os primeiros jornais de São Francisco, como o California Star, o Alta California, o Herald e o Bulletin, bem como muitos jornais do norte, incluindo o Placer Times, o Sacramento Union e o Sacramento Bee, estão na coleção. Esses jornais, agora com mais de dezesseis mil volumes, são encadernados e arquivados por condados nas estantes de jornais especialmente construídas e listados em um catálogo por título e localidade. Atualmente, mais de duzentos jornais da Califórnia são recebidos regularmente e cerca de dez de fora do estado. Desnecessário dizer que esses jornais não circulam.

Uma das ferramentas mais úteis do departamento é um índice de cartão para material da Califórnia encontrado em jornais da Califórnia. O índice cobre o período de 1846 até hoje, e as entradas, estimadas em mais de cinco milhões, são principalmente de jornais de São Francisco, com exceção de cerca de trinta e cinco mil cartões que foram indexados por Winfield Davis da Sacramento Union. Este índice é de grande ajuda na localização de esboços de pessoas da Califórnia, lugares e itens de interesse histórico local. Freqüentemente, as pessoas vêm à Biblioteca e nos dizem que entendem que temos um índice de assuntos para todos os jornais publicados na Califórnia, mas não é o caso. Atualmente, o San Francisco Chronicle é o único jornal indexado, e o indexador do jornal leva todo o tempo para mantê-lo atualizado. Apenas itens da Califórnia são indexados e avisos legais e anúncios não são incluídos.

Além do índice do jornal e do catálogo geral de livros da Califórnia, vários outros catálogos de fichas são mantidos na Sala Califórnia. O catálogo informativo consiste em referências diversas a materiais que foram encontrados em histórias de concelhos, periódicos, diretórios, livros gerais, etc. As entradas neste índice são constantemente adicionadas, alargando assim o seu âmbito e aumentando o seu valor.

Talvez eu possa dar uma ideia melhor de como esse material é usado contando a você a assistência que pudemos dar aos cidadãos de Sacramento no ano passado, quando o Centenário foi celebrado. Muito interesse foi despertado na comunidade. Histórias dos dias dos pioneiros foram relembradas e velhas canções e dramas revividos. A local newspaper, the Sacramento Bee, published a guidebook, and a group of merchants sponsored a series of broadcasts featuring stories of local interest. Guests invited to many of the large balls and parties that were given were requested to wear costumes of the 1839 period, and we were kept busy advising them regarding the styles and furnishing photostatic copies of costumes to the dressmakers.

Some of the local citizens decided that it would be a good idea to assist in the work of renovating the old Stanford mansion and have it open for inspection during the Centennial celebration. This naturally aroused curiosity regarding the house and its early occupants. The public turned to the State Library for information.

Wealth and distinction came to the Stanfords during their stay in Sacramento. It was here, at 54 K Street, that the Big Four– Stanford, Crocker, Huntington and Hopkins– conceived and carried into successful execution the daring scheme of building a transcontinental railroad. Also very important to us is the fact that these same men were all charter life members of the Sacramento Library Association, which later became the Sacramento Public Library.

The Stanfords entertained frequently in the days of their growing wealth and growing popularity. Yet for all their prominence, only brief mention is to be found in books of the home life of the Stanfords during their residence in Sacramento. Considering the vast amount of material that has been published about them this is rather surprising. After exhausting the references in our indexes we found it necessary to make a diligent search of newspapers, directories, county records, etc., for information.

The first item we located read as follows:

From the records in the assessor's office it was found that the house was originally built between the years 1857 and 1858 by Shelton C. Fogus, a wholesale merchant and one time city councilman of Sacramento. It was sold to Stanford for less than the 1858 assessed valuation.

In 1872, just after the mansion had been renovated, the assessment against Stanford included $45,000 for improvements and $1,000 for a library. In addition to his other assessments there was listed against him the following personal property: 11 vehicles, $3,000 12 mares, $3,500 4 horses, $1,500 1 horse [probably "Occident"], $20,000 2 colts, $150, and 2 cows, $100.

The following description of the mansion by Colonel James Lloyd La Fayette Warren, who restored the grounds after the flood, appeared in the California Farmer of July 4, 1862:

. The mansion itself can be said to be the most perfect specimen of a residence in this State, the main building is 46 by 40, with a wing in the rear of 20 feet by 31. another wing to which is attached the Governor's office, is 32 feet by 18. The office of the Governor is furnished with reference to convenience of business, yet with taste and neatness. it contains the department for clerks and his private office, the whole complete in itself, easily communicating with his dwelling. The whole design forms a unique and faultless structure.

The saloons on each side of the hall occupy the whole size of the building, and are lofty and elegant, being 16 feet high. The side centers are ornamented with chaste Corinthian columns and caps, with architraves over the doors, these, with rich central ornaments of pure white for the chandeliers, make a fine contrast to the oak-grained wood-work, and give to the whole an elegant appearance. The chambers, also, are the entire size of the building, but making four in number, are 14 feet high, furnished perfectly, with blinds and shades so as to control both heat and light.

The mansion, to the view, is lofty, having a heavy rich cornice and coping for each window and ornaments under the cornice. [Parenthetically let me say that on each of the ornamented windows the head of a man is carved, and up to the present time we have not been able to determine who is represented. I throw this out as a challenge to the historians gathered here.] The front entrance is furnished with Corinthian columns and caps. The outside of the building (being of brick, with extra solid foundations) is finished in blocks and painted a delicate stone color cornices and copings a lead color, which present a soft yet delicate tint. Yet the whole is much more beautiful in its natural view, than any illustrations can make it.

Beautiful gardens surrounded the building, but they were destroyed by the flood of 1861-62.

It was owing to this flood that the inauguration ceremonies incidental to Stanford's assuming the office of governor were made as brief as possible.

On January 10, 1862, the day of the inauguration, flood waters swept Sacramento. The Governor- elect went to the capitol, at that time on I Street at Seventh, in a row boat, and when he returned home a few hours later, the water was so deep, he had to enter the house through a second story window. In those days the house that now stands three stories high was but two. It was not until ten years later that the building was raised and what is now the ground floor placed beneath.

Ella Sterling Mighels, who knew the Governor as a tiny child, once wrote that her father said that the waters rose and surrounded the house, and everyone left the city who could. Governor Stanford's mansion was abandoned. But in the midst of the worries of everybody, there was seen a poor cow in the drawing room of the mansion, with her head sticking out of the window and mooing incessantly for help. finally a boat went up alongside and pitched in some hay for her and she settled down peacefully in her headquarters.

The story has been told that the piano was floating about in the reception room on the lower floor. Being a bit skeptical about this story, we tried to verify it in contemporary papers, but were not able to do so. However, we did find one article that stated that the piano in the parlor of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, though perched on chairs, was soaked and probably rendered worthless, and that the pictures in the parlor of the new Governor were spoiled.

Mrs. Stanford actively participated in the social affairs of Sacramento, and in an article in the San Francisco Alta California, of February 23, 1863, we find a notice which states that ladies will be interested to understand a new rule of etiquette lately decreed by Mrs. Governor Stanford, with the concurrence of the wives of various officials of the city. This rule was that Mrs. Stanford would expect the first call from ladies visiting Sacramento. This rule had become a matter of necessity because so many wives of members of the legislature came to the capital to spend a few days, and the Governor's wife would like to call upon them, but she did not know when they were in the city or where they stopped. Evidently there was objection to this new procedure, because the article explained in great length that it was based on a rule well established in Washington and other places.

We found that many notables were entertained in this house during the time the Stanfords lived here.

William H. Seward and party were guests overnight on August 24, 1870, President Hayes, the first President of the United States who during his term of office found time and inclination to visit such a remote part of the republic as California, was the guest of Leland Stanford in September 1880. He was accompanied by Mrs. Hayes, Secretary of War Alexander Ramsey, and General William T. Sherman. A reporter for the Sacramento Daily Record- Union tells us that when the first carriage arrived at the front entrance of the Stanford residence, which had been fitted up for the occasion, Governor Stanford ran nimbly down the steps and himself opened the carriage door and handed out the occupants. After a few hurried words of welcome he drew Mrs. Hayes's arm within his own, led her upstairs, and in the absence of Mrs. Stanford, who was in Europe, installed her as hostess of the mansion. At this juncture, General Sherman and the President again descended the steps, walked out of the front gate, and shook hands with the boys of Sumner Post, conversing with each for a moment. The day was observed as a general holiday.

The most brilliant affair that occurred was the magnificent ball given in February 1872, in honor of Governor Newton Booth and the members of the legislature. A San Francisco newspaper sent a special reporter to the party, and a three- column description was telegraphed to the paper. The headlines would have captured the fancy of a Hollywood producer of today.

The party was given just after the mansion had been thoroughly renovated, the house had been raised, a lower floor and mansard roof constructed, additional wings built, and altogether its appearance radically changed.

In order that you may visualize the home as it was at that time, I will read, with your permission, excerpts from the description that appeared in the Chronicle of February 7, 1872.

. It [the mansion] contains forty-four rooms, all most elaborately and luxuriously furnished and fitted up. Good taste and cultured imaginations have been exhausted in furnishing the establishment. Magnificent and costly furniture in every room lace curtains of the finest fabric carpets that receive with noiseless tread the footfall frescoes beautiful in design and exquisite in artistic perfection, adorn the wars and ceiling. Large bouquets of natural flowers are placed in every room, and their fragrance perfumes the air. Added to these are numerous baskets of artificial flowers, pendent from which artificial birds warble forth the rarest music, imitating canaries and other sweet singers. These artificial birds are an ingenious piece of mechanism, winding up like a clock. It requires an expert to say that they are not live birds. The bedroom and adjacent apartment in which the supper is served present a most inviting appearance. For each guest there are six different wine glasses. The entire service, from napkin- rings to centerpieces, is of solid silver, all being entirely new. There is room for 200 guests at a sitting. [From] the sidewalk to the grand entrance of the mansion is a waterproof canopy. Ladies descending from carriages are thus protected from rain, and an elegant carpet adds to the comfort. Everything is on a scale of unsurpassed magnificence.

Seven hundred invitations were issued by the hospitable Stanfords, principally to their friends and acquaintances, who were asked to come and make themselves it home. Of these five hundred were issued to friends in Sacramento the others to those in San Francisco.

On entering the mansion of the Stanfords the guests were escorted upstairs, where appropriate dressing rooms had being prepared wherein the ladies could prepare themselves for the general muster and the gentlemen give their claw- hammers the last graceful touch. Being so prepared, and everything in apple- pie order, the guests descend. In the parlors to the right as you enter Mr. and Mrs. Leland Stanford receive their guests. The Governor looks pleasant, and has a hearty greeting for all his friends. Mrs. Stanford looks radiant, and feels happy at the idea that this, her grand reception, is a grand success in every sense of the word. She has pleasant words for the ladies and vies with the Governor in exchanging compliments. The guests then pass on to the other apartments.

The disciples of Terpsichore soon find where they can worship at their favored shrine. Church & Clark of Sacramento furnish the music. Seven pieces are stationed in the parlors to the left which connect with a large hall 30 by 86. The parlors are 20 by 50. The second band is stationed on the lower floor in the hall beneath the main upper hall. This lower hall is also 30 by 86. This gives, according to our hurried mathematics, 6,000 square feet of space covered with the tireless dancers.

It was in this house that Leland Stanford, Jr., was born on a sunny day in May 1868. This to both Mr. and Mrs. Stanford was the crowning event of their lives. They had been married eighteen years and had not before been blessed with a child.

You are all familiar with the story told by Bertha Berner in her biography of Mrs. Leland Stanford, that shortly before the birth of young Leland Mr. and Mrs. Stanford and a group of friends were enjoying a tea party out of doors on the front veranda. Mrs. Stanford, sitting in a rocking chair, overbalanced and tipped off the porch into a flowering bush. Her husband was stunned, but Mrs. Stanford was rescued without mishap and laughingly assured them that she was not hurt in the least."

Miss Berner also tells this story:

Mrs. Mighels recalled memories of Mrs. Stanford driving with her mother and sister, Miss Lathrop, and said that when the little boy was taken along, he looked like a baby prince, he was so bedecked and so cherished, as if he were more than an ordinary child. He had dark eyes and resembled his mother and his aunt more than his father. As he grew, he was very fond of playing at railroading, so a track was built for him and he was given a little car to run on it.

The son was six years of age when the family moved to San Francisco. His death in Florence, Italy, at the age of sixteen, was the cause of great grief to his parents.

Mr. Stanford's beloved mother lived with them for a time and died here in February 1873.

When the Stanfords moved to San Francisco in 1874 they left the home in Sacramento completely furnished. Mrs. Stanford always kept a very warm spot in her heart for Sacramento and frequently remembered the city with generous gifts in later years. On February 7, 1888, she sent a check from Washington, D.C. for the Protestant Orphan Asylum. On April 25, 1890, in keeping with her creedless religious ideals, she sent $1,000 to the mayor with the request that the sum be distributed among the more worthy charities of the city. That same year she had placed in St. Paul's Episcopal Church a magnificent memorial window of stained glass, said to be at that time the most costly in this country or Europe. A few years later she presented to the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament a magnificent painting of Raphael's Sistine Madonna, copied by permission from the Royal Gallery in Dresden. She also contributed a sum of money to assist in the purchase of Sutter's Fort.

On April 18, 1900, she came to Sacramento to make a final disposal of the mansion where her happiest days had been spent and her loved son born. For twenty years this home had been unoccupied, save for a solitary caretaker who had served in that capacity since Senator and Mrs. Stanford had removed to San Francisco. Before leaving for a prolonged stay in Europe, Mrs. Stanford wished to safeguard for all time the cherished place and its sacred memories. Money could not buy the "old home," and love forbade that it should ever be given over to profane use. Therefore, she offered to the Most Reverend Thomas Grace, Bishop of Sacramento, and his successors in the bishopric, forever, the home, together with an endowment of $75,000. The Bishop, honoring the charity and lovable intentions of Mrs. Stanford, accepted the gift, and promised that the hallowed spot should be preserved according to her wishes.

When going through the building you will notice evidence of the railroad builders interest. Two crystal light shades on a chandelier in the banquet room remain of all those that bore etched designs of an engine resembling the famed "C. P. Huntington." Again, the railroad design appears in Stanford's own glass enclosed bookcase. At the top, the engine and one car are carved, and the initial "S" appear on both frosted glass doors of the case.


A Grim History of Nob Hill's Mansions—And the Horror Novels They Inspired

On Oct. 5, 1891, the San Francisco Morning Call newspaper featured an in-depth report about &ldquothe shadow of misfortune&rdquo that was, at that time, hanging over Nob Hill's most prestigious homes. The article focused on the abandoned mansions of the prominent Stanford, Crocker, Colton, Hopkins and Flood families. &ldquoLifeless and forlorn,&rdquo the newspaper stated, &ldquothey tell no story but of pride ungratified and happiness that could not be purchased. So the shadows seem to rest on Nob Hill.&rdquo

The trail of misery was undeniable.

Leland and Jane Stanford abandoned their 50-room mansion on the corner of Powell and California Streets after their son died at 15 years old. In 1883, after the senator and his wife held Leland Jr.&rsquos funeral in the 41,000 square-foot house, they moved to Menlo Park, leaving the mansion as a sort of shrine to their son. One particularly macabre feature was left visible for passersby. &ldquoIn [Leland Jr.&rsquos] old room, looking out over the bay,&rdquo The Morning Call observed, &ldquoall the belongings of his boyhood cluster undisturbed. His picture hangs before a window, the blinds of which are never drawn. To this room, a mother comes to weep. It is the shrine of her grief.&rdquo

The neighbors were all struck with similar misfortunes.

Charles Crocker, a co-founder of the Central Pacific Railroad, as well as the bank that later became Wells Fargo, had built his 25,000 square-foot home at the peak of Nob Hill (then called California Hill). His intention was to acquire and demolish the 13 houses already on the land and build on the vacant plot. He succeeded in buying 12. When the owner of the final home&mdashan undertaker named Nicholas Yung&mdashrequested $12,000 to move, Crocker refused to pay and, instead, walled off Yung's home behind a monstrous, 40-foot-tall &ldquospite fence.&rdquo

Portion of a panoramic photograph, taken in April 1878 by Eadweard Muybridge, showing the spite fence constructed by Charles Crocker around Nicolas Yung's home.

Crocker died in 1888, leaving two of his sons squabbling over ownership of the house while also continuing their father&rsquos feud with Yung. It&rsquos remarkable that the eldest Crocker, Fred, had the energy for such pettiness, having lost his 29-year-old wife in childbirth the year before his father died. (Fred never married again and their daughter, Mary, only made it to 24.)

Next door to the Crocker mansion (and the spite fence) was the Italian-style villa of General David Colton, an attorney and another co-founder of the Central Pacific Railroad. The $75,000 L-shaped, two-story home was completed in 1872. Six years later, Colton was thrown from a horse and subsequently crushed by the animal. Surgery was attempted, but a deadly infection resulted and he died at the age of 47, leaving significant debts.

Colton&rsquos death triggered a series of unfortunate events. Believing that her husband&rsquos Pacific Railroad colleagues had swindled her out of money, Ellen Colton took action that resulted in multiple lawsuits, two years in court and a mountain of gossip in the local press. o Morning Call reported that the lawsuits resulted in &ldquomuch of the [Colton] estate&rdquo being &ldquofrittered away.&rdquo

The paper was also careful to note the bad luck that had befallen one of the Coltons&rsquo two daughters, Carrie. It reported that her first husband died after a year and a half of their marriage, and her second, Henry McClane Martin&mdash&ldquoa love match without doubt&rdquo&mdashdied of a sudden illness that once again left her &ldquoheart-broken.&rdquo The newspaper said the family mansion was left, &ldquovacant and gruesome with memories.&rdquo

Eventually, one of the people Ellen had fought in court, Collis P. Huntington, bought the Colton home for $250,000. But because his family was based in New York, the mansion remained largely empty.

The Crocker, Stanford and Colton mansions, as illustrated in an 1891 edition of San Francisco's 'Morning Call' newspaper.

Another neighbor on California Street was Richard Tobin, a lawyer, co-founder of The Hibernia Savings and Loan Society and one of the original owners of the San Francisco Chronicle. He became successful after emigrating from Ireland in 1849 with his father and brother, but his 5,400 square-foot mansion at Taylor Street was more modest than his neighbors&rsquo abodes. (It did, however, still include a 75-foot-tall observatory tower and a private chapel, complete with stained glass windows.)

The Tobin clan evidently experienced some trouble with their neighbors. o Daily Alta reported on May 21, 1877 that &ldquoOn Thursday morning, Charles A. Crocker [he of the spite fence] and William Tobin engaged in a row in a Market Street saloon, during which Tobin was stabbed in the abdomen. Yesterday Crocker was examined before Judge Lawler, and Tobin asserted that they were both drunk, and that the stabbing was done accidentally. The charge was consequently dismissed.&rdquo

(It is unclear from records whether William was Richard&rsquos brother or father.)

Richard Tobin died in 1887, but his wife remained in their Nob Hill home. That was until August 27, 1895, when house-painters using gasoline lamps to burn off old paint caused a massive fire. o San Francisco Call reported that &ldquobetween $10,000 and $15,000 [of] damages&rdquo were caused, in part because &ldquothe heavy steam engines&rdquo of the fire trucks had trouble mounting the hill. The paper also reported that the house was insured for only $5,000.

The grand twist in all of this is that the architectural firm responsible for all four of these homes was one and the same: Bugbee & Sons. And the head of that company, Samuel C. Bugbee, just happens to be the great-great grandfather of Shirley Jackson. Jackson, of course, was an author who built her career writing about strange and cursed old houses in books like 1959&rsquos The Haunting of Hill House and 1962&rsquos We Have Always Lived in the Castle. In 1958&rsquos The Sundial, a cantankerous family lives in a mansion at the top of the hill, surrounded by an imposing wall. (It's impossible not to think of the Crockers.)

Though enormously successful with their architecture firm&mdashthey also built Mills Hall at Mills College (1871), Wade Opera House (1876) and the Golden Gate Park Conservatory&mdashthe Bugbees had a habit of dying suddenly. Samuel died Sept. 1, 1877 on a ferry between San Francisco and Oakland. His son Charles dropped dead in the street a few years later. His other son, Sumner Bugbee, died unexpectedly during a train journey from New York to California. And later, Charles&rsquo brother, John Stephenson Bugbee (the only non-architect in the family) died of a stroke in the middle of making a speech to the 1896 Alaska Republican convention.

Today, none of the Bugbee mansions of Nob Hill are still standing. Those that survived until 1906 all burned in the fires following the earthquake. Landmarks do remain in their places though. The Huntington family, who purchased the Colton mansion, donated the land to the city after the house burned down. Huntington Park now stands where it once did. And across the street, standing on the site of the old Crocker mansion, is Grace Cathedral.

At the time of writing The Haunting of Hill House, Shirley Jackson had requested photos of the mansions her ancestors built for inspiration. Her mother sent her a batch of newspaper clippings. One contained a picture of the Crocker House and a note. &ldquoGlad [it] didn&rsquot survive the earthquake.&rdquo


Leland Stanford

Nossos editores irão revisar o que você enviou e determinar se o artigo deve ser revisado.

Leland Stanford, na íntegra Amasa Leland Stanford, (born March 9, 1824, Watervliet, New York, U.S.—died June 21, 1893, Palo Alto, California), American senator from California and one of the builders of the first U.S. transcontinental railroad. Stanford is often grouped with the 19th-century entrepreneurial tycoons who were labeled “robber barons” by their critics and “captains of industry” by their champions.

Stanford practiced law in Port Washington, Wisconsin, from 1848 to 1852, before moving to Sacramento, California, where he achieved much success in retailing mining supplies and general merchandise. He also became active in local politics. A Republican, he served as governor of California from 1862 to 1863.

Stanford invested heavily in the plan to build a transcontinental railroad, and, when the Central Pacific Railroad was organized in 1861, he became its president (1861–93). He was instrumental in the success of the Central Pacific, which was built eastward to join with the Union Pacific at Promontory, Utah, in 1869. He also played a major role in railroad development throughout California and the Southwest. From 1885 until his death in 1893, he served in the U.S. Senate. Stanford and his wife, Jane, founded Stanford University in 1885.

This article was most recently revised and updated by Jeff Wallenfeldt, Manager, Geography and History.


The 150th Gold Spike Celebration at Stanford Mansion

Register at this Eventbrite page. *Also, see note below.

The building of the Transcontinental Railroad in the late 1860s was a transformational event in the history of the United States. An important part of the story begins in Old Town Sacramento with the formation of the Central Pacific Railroad in 1861, with Leland Stanford as its first president. Leland Stanford lobbied tirelessly for funding to complete the railroad project and, with his wife Jane Stanford, hosted many events at their Sacramento home to boost political and investment support for the project. The Transcontinental Railroad was the source of the great private fortune that comprised the Founding Grant. Leland and Jane Stanford built the Stanford campus and endowed its operations with the profits from the vast transportation empire they controlled.

Jane Stanford gifted her Sacramento home (and $75,000 in railroad bonds) to an orphanage operated by the Catholic Diocese of Sacramento from 1900 to 1978. The Leland Stanford Mansion became a California historic state park in 1978. It underwent major restoration in partnership with The Leland Stanford Mansion Foundation.

At this commemorative event, Pulitzer Prize winning historian Professor David Kennedy will address the impact of the railroad on the development of the American West. State legislators will deliver proclamations honoring the anniversary. Materials and newly released books by the Chinese Railroad Workers in North America Project will be on display. A reception will follow.

Organized by the Stanford Historical Society and the Sacramento Stanford Association, this event is hosted by The Leland Stanford Mansion Foundation and co-sponsored by The Bill Lane Center for the American West.


Leland Stanford Mansion - History

Stanford's Nob Hill Mansion Stanford s Home.

The Largest Private Residence in the State.

One Hundred Workmen Preparing for the Foundation A Magnificent Site Full Description of the Architect s Plans A Palatial Interior.

Leland Stanford is about to erect a large and handsome mansion on the east half of the vacant block bounded by California, Pine, Powell, and Mason streets. The plans are already prepared by the well-known architects, Messrs. Bugbee & Sons, and a hundred workmen have been for some time preparing the ground for the foundations. The site is one of the finest in the city, commanding a view northward past Alcatraz and the Two Brothers, eastward to the Coast Range, southward to San Jose and beyond, and southwestward to the Twin Peaks. From this point the whole city seems to be in a green basin at the feet of the observer. The depots and offices of the Central Pacific Railroad are in full view from the south windows. Mr. Stanford expects to have a residence that will be a comfortable home for himself and family for the remainder of his life, and a worthy place for the entertainment of such friends as he desires to have immediately about him.

Will be imposing, and the interior commodious and elegant with all modern appliances considered essential to comfort. The ground will be terraced up on all sides, throwing the structure into greater relief. The basement is to be of brick, the two stories above it of wood, with handsome ornaments. The lot is 412 1/2 x 275 feet in size. The house will be about 125 feet square on the ground, and the largest private residence in the State. The main front on California street will be in the composite style of architecture and quiet elaborate, having flat windows and a porch 50 feet long by 14 feet broad, supported by sixteen Corinthian columns. The steps and buttresses of the porch are to be of marble. The house will have a hip roof, giving a high attic, surmounted by an iron cresting and ornamental chimneys. The roof will be covered with copper. The other three sides of the house will have the same general dimensions and appearance, but will be relieved by bow windows. The carriage porch will be on the Powell-street front. The rear front will be relieved by a balcony and conservatory.

Will contain a supper room 30 x 70 feet, to be used as a refreshment room on great occasions a play-room 20 x 30 feet, a breakfast room 28 x 16 feet, and a kitchen 18 x 29 feet, with butler s pantry and other domestic rooms and offices. It will be seen from the dimensions that the rooms will have something of a grandeur of an old baronial hall. The interior of the house will be finished in hard woods, very elegantly, but without needless ornament.

Will open into a hall twenty feet wide by one hundred feet in length, widening in the center of the building into a rotunda thirty feet in diameter, reaching to the roof. This rotunda will be one of the handsomest features of the interior, being ornamented with sixteen Corinthian columns, and surrounded in the second story by a handsome railing. At the right of this long hall are placed in order the parlor, 36 x 28 feet, the art-room, 55 x 30 feet (really a part of the parlor) and the dining-room, 52 x 28 feet. On the left or east side of the hall, beginning at the entrance, are the reception room, 28 x 36 feet, the library, 42 x 30 feet, and a billiard-room and sitting-room of somewhat less dimensions. This last suite will be the ordinary living rooms of the family, and will have a charming outlook across the bay. The rooms on the main floor are spacious, and can all including the dining-room, be drawn into one grand apartment when a large number of guests are present.

On the second floor will be of grand proportions. There will be twenty-five sleeping apartments in the entire house. At the rear of the main hall is to be a conservatory, just back of the grand staircase. The grand staircase will be of hard California woods, with looking-glasses in the panels, and statuary on the newal-posts. The rotunda will also be handsomely adorned with statuary and pictures. The servants stairway is to be separate running from basement to attic. The house will have an elevator elaborate heating apparatus and all minor necessaries in keeping with the details given. it certainly bids fair to be all that Mr. Stanford desires, a really elegant and thoroughly comfortable California home. The west half of the block will be occupied by Mark Hopkins, who will soon erect on it a fine residence the plans of which are not yet drawn.

Fonte: San Francisco Chronicle. 7 February 1875. 1. An Art Treasure

The Decorations of the Stanford Mansion.

To the art features of the Stanford mansion, which are unique in every way, does the magnificent establishment owe its chief excellence as an aesthetic work. With one fundamental idea in the scheme of ornamental, the work throughout cannot be found to be equalled throughout the United States and in completeness, variety and high taste but few palaces of Europe excell it.

The treasures of art seem to have been lavished almost indiscriminately upon the whole. Mr. G. G. Gariboldi, the artist, was given a carte blanche, and the work the whole of it from his designs, and much of it by his own handle ranks him as the first of painters and decorators. To speak in detail of the paintings and ornamentation we begin at the entrance of the mansion, which is up a noble flight of stone stairs, flanked on each side at the first rise by tall, square pillars, surmounted by gas-lamps of elegant patterns. From the stairs we enter the vestibule, which is executed in mosaic, with a centre figure representing Fidelity, typified by a stalwart hound seated quietly at vigilant rest, and as if guarding the entrance to the house. The entrance hall is decorated with frescoes, worked in light and shade, in the Greco-Italian style. The ceilings are in white and gold blended with blue, of which the centre piece contains a large picture representing Abundance and the scripture Welcome to Visitors with the Latin legend Pax Vebis (peace be with you.) From this we come directly beneath the noble rotunda, which may be appropriately considered the crown and glory of the whole work. The circle around the mezzo rotunda is frescoed in the Greco-Italian style, with seven figured subjects representing the seven days of the week. The floor beneath the rotunda is decorated with the twelve signs of the Zodiac in Mosaic antique. In this hall there is one other ceiling decorated in the same manner, but with figures in the Etruscan style, and representing incidents of Etruscan home life. The marbleized walls of the lower hall are finished in a peculiar and indestructible marble cement, a patented process of Mr. G. G. Gariboldi, and for which he holds letters patent. The artistically carved woodwork of the windows and doors of the chambers fronting in both stories, on the light wall, are the work of Pottiers and Stymers.

To briefly sketch the general idea of the ornamentation, we will say that the general style of the ceiling and rotunda of the upper hall is that of the Neo-Pompean method which is a mixture of the Modern and Antique. The ceiling of the grand dome is divided into eight large panels. Each panel has a picture, four of which, fourteen by ten, are figured with noble allegorical groups of female figures representing the four quarters of the globe. The other four panels are finished with emblematic figures personifying Fine Arts, Mechanics, Agriculture and Literature. The motive of this decoration of the rotunda was doubtless to present the documentary and historic character of Italian art. Each of the main chambers, sitting-rooms, chambers, parlors, etc. -ten in number besides the supper-room, are all beautifully frescoed, and in every one the style is varied, but always preserving a unison of colors so as to be in harmony with the other furnishings of the apartments. The drawing and coloring of the human figures are very beautiful and unmarred by the least fault of taste. The elaboration in the purely decorative figures, which are profuse in number and endless in variety, shows more than anything else how almost infinite the labor must have been and how complete the knowledge of forms possessed by the designing artist. Over five months of labor were expended on the work by Mr. Gariboldi, who was aided by sixteen assistants. Though the dwelling of a private gentleman, the Stanford mansion is as purely a high work of art as a great historical picture, and as such it is an honor and a glory to our city to have it in its midst.


Sacramento Area Museums

Sacramento’s Gold Rush history is one of adventure, ambition, and hard work—as the city’s numerous state-of-the-art museums and historic sites illustrate. From the heritage of California’s earliest inhabitants, to the exciting times of the Gold Rush and beyond, Sacramento has played a central role in Northern California’s growth and development. Today, as the capital city of the nation’s most populous state, Sacramento continues to pioneer in cutting-edge progress while remembering its past.

Visit the California Gold Rush’s commercial center (Old Sacramento State Historic Park), and step back in time to learn about the State’s earliest residents (State Indian Museum, Maidu Museum & Historic Site) and the city’s original landlord (Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park). Stroll about the memorials to those who perished (Sacramento Historic City Cemetery), and follow the trail from statehood (California State Capitol Museum & Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park) to development of the vast Central Valley (Sacramento History Museum, Sojourner Truth African American Museum) and the State of California (California Museum, California Statewide Museum Collection Center).

As Northern California’s transportation and communications crossroads, Sacramento has a special affinity for the Pony Express (Wells Fargo History Museum – Old Sacramento), trains (California State Railroad Museum), cars (California Automobile Museum), and planes (Aerospace Museum of California). Home to the West’s first art museum (Crocker Art Museum), Sacramento’s art scene is continually growing (Verge Center for the Arts). Sacramento also has plenty of agricultural (California Agriculture Museum), commerce (Wells Fargo History Museum – Downtown), Healthcare (Don and June Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum, Museum of Medical History), science (Powerhouse Science Center Campus, Roseville Utility Exploration Center), wildlife (Sacramento Zoo) are all represented in our museums as well!